When The Words Just "Fit"

March 27, 2011  
I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to naming things.

When our second son, Middle, was in-utero, I was determined to name him Willoughby (Will for short) after that dastardly character in Austen's Sense & Sensibility.  I came to my senses when I realised such a horrible character was hardly the strong, formidable sort I wanted my son to have as a namesake, despite my love of the name itself.  There are just some things that stay forever meshed in your mind, and this fictional Willoughly just wouldn't do.  So I set myself to thinking - which other character from literature could I exploit to name my offspring? Let's just say Sense & Sensibility came through in the end and provided us with a new, solid, dependable name.  And one far less prone to run after the first rich girl he sees!

But sure, I do spend an inordinate amount of time in the pursuit of a good name. I write, so character names, town names, names of streets, it all gets the somewhat-obsessive treatment.  And blogs are no different.  For the past year or so, I have toyed with a dozen different names as I've searched for 'just the right fit', a persona that was short, sharp and sweet yet still showed that I was more than a mama, more than a crafter, more than an Aussie, more than anything that could possibly be contained in a few words floating about in the Blogosphere.

Chromama is what I came up with.  Let me break it down for you.

Chroma is Greek for 'colour' and it's defined as the purity of a colour, or its freedom from white or gray.

Freedom from white or grey, huh?  I don't know about you, but for me, it's really easy to get bogged down by 'all things wife and mother'.  The days seem to meld together, a kid - usually the same one - is perpetually ill, the working spouse is absent for a lot of the 'hands on' stuff, there are meals to plan, shopping to do, cleaning to avoid, not to mention you're exhausted....well, life can get decidedly grey. And it's not that you don't love or even enjoy doing these things for the people in your life.

It's just that everyone needs the chance to find their colour again. To explode with creativity or excitement or drive or determination or love. To make the days count. To live with purpose.

To enjoy life!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...