Meet The Bearded Avenger

April 9, 2011  
So my husband has this pretty darn fantastic job, and does lots of properly important things while at work - real getting-your-hands-dirty-but-making-a-difference-at-the-same-time kind of stuff. But I'm not allowed to talk about his job here on the blog (or even to go beyond the rudimentaries while speaking to 'real people').  This is why I've decided to call him The Bearded Avenger.  First, because he has a beard and is therefore automatically upgraded to 'wise' and 'learned' and 'too lazy to shave one annual leave stretch about five years ago'.  Second, the man has all those cool work secrets.  Third, because my first choice of Double Oh Heaven seemed somewhat on the flip side of Too Much Information.

How I wish I had permission to talk about his job! Nothing too specific, of course.  But hooley-dooley - I could branch out into a whole separate blogging niche just from this one subject alone.  Alas - I'm stuck making vague comments about how proud I am and how much I appreciate the intricacies of the work he does.  Even though The Job does impact on family life - sometimes significantly - when I think of the alternative, that there were no folk doing the job that TBA does, I start to feel decidedly sick to my stomach.  So yay for the Hubster.

However - there are many that would think TBA's job isn't that great, or that the pay isn't worth the crapola that is shovelled his way daily by Those Above.  There are even Some People in the greater community who are, let's just say, "unreceptive" to the work of this particular field.

Phooey to them, I say.  It doesn't even matter what TBA does for a crust.  He could clean out porta-potties for a living and I'd still be proud of him (because let's face it - the next time you're at a carnival with three kids in tow and every one of them has had too much to drink and you're about eleventy-four miles away from the nearest restrooms, you'll be pretty darn glad for Mr Porta-Potty).  It reminds me of this awesome quote:

If you are called to be a street sweeper, sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, 'Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well'
(Martin Luther King Jr)

Now how can you go wrong with a sentiment like that?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...